Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
and the Philosopher's Stone
Page editor: Elaine Thomas
Facts and Figures
UK Running Time: 146 min (2 hours 26 minutes)
US Running Time: 152 min
Release Date: November 16, 2001
MPAA Rating: PG, for some scary moments and mild language.
BBFC Rating: PG
Distributor: Warner Bros.
Cast and Crew
Cast and other Credits
Cast and Overview:
- Alnwick Castle, Northumberland
- Australia House
- Black Park, Iver
- Bodleian Library, Oxford University
- Christ Church, Oxford University
- Divinity School, Oxford University
- Durham Cathedral, County Durham
- Goathland Station, Yorkshire
Virtual Reality views of some film locations are available on the
British Tours Ltd. web site. The site
includes views for
where the red writing on the wall from
CS/f was filmed;
Leadenhall Market, London, which
Hagrid walk through in
Philosopher's Stone; and
Christ Church, Oxford,
the Great Hall used for Hogwarts' Great Hall. QuickTime is required.
Hogwarts: An Owl's-Eye View
Quotes and Trivia
courtesy of Amazon and IMDB
includes "The film reveals that the twelfth use for
dragon's blood is an oven cleaner."
Actually, while Kloves
did include this bit of trivia in his version of the script, the final film
never reveals this fact. Rowling herself revealed it, however
Errors and Changes
Soundtrack of the Film
Composed and Conducted by John Williams
Release Date: May 28, 2002
Special Features :
As well as the Movie there are:
- Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
- Cast and Crew Lists
From the Main menu there are 8 options; Diagon Alley, Tour, Sorting Hat, Classrooms, Hogwarts Grounds, Library, Interviews and Extra
- Diagon Alley
- Firstly you must get past the 'Brick Puzzle' to access (see below 'How to access deleted scenes' step 2)
- Gringotts - Take out your Wizard Money
- Ollivander's - Choose and buy your own wand
- Eeylops Owl Emporium- Choose and buy your own owl
- Self Guided tour around Hogwarts including Gryffindor Common room, Harry's Bedroom and The Great Hall
- Sorting Hat
- Description of each of the houses.
From here there are 5 options, Defence against the dark arts, Potions, Spells and charms, Transfiguration, and the Hogwarts shiled.
Note: You must go to Diagon Alley and buy a wand before you can go to the classrooms. (See below 'How to access deleted scenes' steps 1-6)
- Defence against the dark arts
- Quirrel Character Montage
- Snape Character Montage
- Mix Potions correctly or end up in the hospital wing. ( (Note: If you make the
potion correctly it will lead you to the keys see below 'How to Access Deleted Scenes' part 10)
- Spells and Charms
- View the scene where Hagrid tells the trio about Nicholas Flamel in 8 different languages.
- Flitwick Character Montage
- Dumbledore and McGonagal Character montages
- Hogwarts Shield (To the third floor corridor)
- Hogwarts Grounds
- Hagrid's Hut 360 degree tour
- Learn about Quidditch
- Catch the Snitch
- 70 artwork designs of props
- Student character montages
- Meet the Hogwarts Ghosts
- Capturing the Stone conversation with the filmmakers' -- Interviews
with Chris Columbus (director), David Heyman (producer), Steve Kloves
(screenwriter) and Stuart Craig (production designer) cut with
scenes from the movie and behind the scenes footage. (16 minute running time)
- Extra Credit (DVD ROM Features)
- Be sorted by the Sorting Hat
- PC game Demo
- Lego Creator Demo
- Links to the web
- Receive Owl e-mails
- Enhanced Tour of Hogwarts and Hagrid's Hut using microphone
- Magical Trading cards
- 7 deleted scenes By completing tasks throughout disk 2,
7 scenes that were not in the final cut can be viewed. (See below for how to
access the deleted scenes.)
- Petunia is taking photos of Dudley wearing his Smeltings uniform
and Harry asks if he is going but Petunia is dying Dudley's old
uniform for Harry to go to the state school.
- Petunia is breaking eggs and there are Harry's Hogwarts letters inside them.
- Hagrid and Harry are on the tube. Harry is reading out what he
requires for Hogwarts and Hagrid says he always wanted a dragon.
- Short scene after Ron and Harry rescue Hermione from the Troll.
Harry points out that Hermione would not have needed saving Ron did
not insult her.
- At Christmas Harry is sitting on his own in the Great Hall and
Ron comes over to him to ask him if he wants to play chess. Harry
however, is busy thinking.
- Harry Ron and Hermione are in the Great Hall. Ron is looking at
his trading cards and Hermione says that he should be revising for
the exams. Neville comes in and has been put in a leglock by
Malfoy and Ron says he should stand up to him. Harry finds out who
Nicholas Flamel is on Dumledore's trading card.
- Extended potions class.
How to access the Deleted Scenes:
- Insert Disk Two
- Enter Diagon Alley and at the brick puzzle press; left, up, up, enter, up, enter, up, enter, right, down, down, enter, down, enter.
- Then select the Gringotts sign and press down to select the key and press enter.
- When in Gringotts press enter to withdraw your money.
- Go back to Diagon Alley and Select Ollivander's.
- In Ollivander's select wands until you find one to suit you.
- Go back to the Main Menu and select Classrooms.
- Press left to select Transfiguration then down to select the torch then up to select the 'H' then enter.
- At Fluffy select the flute then enter.
- At the keys select the key in the middle with a bent wing then enter.
- At the bottles select the bottle with the yellow liquid and enter.
- At the mirror select the philosopher's stone in the middle and enter to view the deleted scenes.