Ministry of Magic Headquarters, London
The Department of Mysteries
map and notes by John Kearns
It's likely impossible to map the Department of Mysteries; after all,
the revolving walls sure make it seem like the rooms move around a lot.
But once inside, even though there are a heck of a lot of doors, space
still seems pretty linear. Also, we're missing at least half the
picture (all the empty white space). But if the Department of Mysteries
can be mapped,
I think the parts we know would look pretty close to this.
REFERENCES (all notes U.S.-Scholastic Hardcover)
- There are 12 doors out of the room.
- "There were around a dozen doors here," p770
- "They had a one-in-twelve chance of getting the exit right the
first time," p796
- The Time Room door is directly across from the exit.
- "Harry had walked...to the door immediately
opposite the entrance," p770
- The Brain Room door and Time Room door are possibly near each other.
- The first time the walls spin, Harry
"marched straight" ahead, or close, p771
- The Time Room door is probably next to the Locked Room door.
- "Harry...pushed the next door open," p776
- When walking out of the Time Room, the Planet Room is to your right.
- "A door to their right sprang open and three people fell out
of it," p795
- Bellatrix comes from
a room across from the Brain and Planet Rooms.
- "He heaved Ron toward a door"
(likely next to the one he came from) when
"another door across the hall burst open and
sped into the hall," p796
- The "long rectangular room..." (p771)
"was long and quite empty except for a few desks and,
in the very middle of the room, an enormous glass tank." (p772)
- "Back in the brain room"
there were doors all around the walls," p797
- There only seems to be one room on either side of the Brain Room.
- There were footsteps running along behind the doors; every
now and then another heavy body would launch itself against one," p797
- The doors on the side
Luna sealed lead into the
- Five Death Eaters
were surging through the door
not reached," p797
- He dashed through the only door still open, the one through
which the Death Eaters
themselves had come," p799
- The sunken pit in the middle is quite large.
- "The center of it was sunken, forming a great stone pit," p773
- "His footsteps echoed loudly as he walked slowly toward the
- Most of the battle takes place here, p799-809
- Even on the dais is enough room for
- The benches (probably about ten) circle the entire room.
- "stone benches running around the room and descending in steep
- "stone pit some twenty feet below them," p773
- Ten steps assumes a 2 ft (~60cm) height for each one
- Note: This room is huge.
- If each step is 4 ft wide, the dais is 12 ft across, and there's
a 20 ft radius around the dais before reaching the bottom step, the room
is at least 132 feet across - almost half a football field.
- We don't really know anything about it, but based on all the hints
that "size is no guarantee of power," I'm guessing that the room is fairly
- The room is really skinny.
- "He led the way forward down the narrow space between lines
of desks," p776
- "a towering crystal bell jar stood at the far end of the room...
on a desk," p776
- After the bell jar is only one door - leading to the Hall of Prophecies.
- Ginny "followed him past the bell jar to the only door behind
- The door is probably on the right side of the room, not the end.
- When leaving the room: "'We need to go right, I think,'" p777
- On returning: "The door through which they'd come was straight
- Then Malfoy, directing troops:
"'Crabbe, Rabastan, go right,'" p788. According
to Kendall Smiley, these two then enter the Time Room. If
Malfoy was facing the wall (see also under Hall of Prophecies), this door
had to be to his right.
- There is at least one office (maybe more - see Office) on the right
side of the room.
- "They had run halfway (out)... Veering left he burst into an
- All we know about the office is that it is "small" (p791),
with a desk, bookcase, and stone wall (p792),
and that it's big enough for five people to fit in at once (p792).
It doesn't seem like a boss's office,
so I'm guessing it's an Unspeakable's office, and that there are more like
it in the same area.
The Hall of Prophecy:
- Has at least 97 rows of shelves, each of which are quite long.
- The prophecy is in row 97, and "you can't see (the row's end)
- Row 53 is nearest to the Time Room door.
- "At the end of the closest row" glimmered the silver figure
- The numbers count up as you go right.
- "'We need to go right, I think,'" whispered Hermione,
"Yes, that's 54...'" p777
- The Hall probably has at least 6 doors out of it,
including 3 together.
Lucius Malfoy is directing the
not knowing which way the kids ran, and presumably is
facing the wall (looking at the doors nearest him).
you take the left" (into the unknown room on the map)
- Crabbe, Rabastan, go right" (into the Time Room, where they
- "Jugson, Dolohov, the door straight ahead"
(leading them into a small closet, which they search;
they then run past
Bellatrix to the
circular room & see Harry)
- "Macnair and Avery, through here"
(a door nearby, perhaps the Death Chamber)
- "Rookwood over there"
(a door further away, perhaps past
- "Mulciber, come with me!"
(Either a further door or to search the Hall)
- Note: See also the Time Room for notes regarding this door's placement.
- There is one passage that does not make sense with the way I've placed
the rooms, while Harry is in the Time Room: "There was a shout from a room
nearby, then a crash and a scream." This is probably from the Planet
Room, which I placed several rooms away. It's possible that it is
between the Time Room and the Death Chamber, but this causes two problems:
first, it would mean that when Luna
comes "from the right" she's actually
coming more from behind Harry; second, it would mean that the Planet Room
door isn't next to the Brain Room door, and
Harry would have dragged incapacitated
Ron and Ginny farther than necessary. I prefer to think instead that sound
just travels well inside the Dept. of Mysteries.
A Final Pondering Thought:
Why the heck does this place have so many doors if most of them are