Who is your country’s most popular Potter character?

I started playing around with Google Trends yesterday, and came up with some fun results I wanted to share. For those who don’t know, it’s a set of statistics about where (in what countries and cities) different terms and phrases are most commonly Googled.

First, “Harry Potter” is most frequently Googled in Bolivia, with no English-speaking countries in the top ten, although the city in which people most frequently search for him is Salt Lake City.

More importantly, “Harry Potter Lexicon” is by far most commonly searched in the Phillipines, with the US a distant second.

I also thought it was interesting to look at the countries which most frequently Googled some of our favorite characters:
DumbledoreAustralia
SnapeUK (by a significant margin)
HagridSweden (twice as often as any other country)
HermionePeru
Ron Weasley – Chile
VoldemortHungary (by far)
Harry – Bolivia

And as for some key words and phrases:
HorcruxUS
HogwartsSweden (nearly three times as often as any other country)
Diagon Alley – Italy (by far)
QuidditchPoland

It’s a fun site to play with – you can check it out yourself here: Google Trends

23 Responses to Who is your country’s most popular Potter character?

1. ginny321 says:

You would think the Lexicon would be most commonly searched in the US, as there is ALOT of HP craze here,and people are always looking for good sites.

The trends show in what countries the searches are done most often *proportionately*, so while Lexicon is probably searched more times in the US, it makes up a lower percentage of total searches than it does in the Philipines. By a lot, in fact.

3. Lisa says:

This gives me an idea for something to add to the character pages: lists of how the names are translated into different languages.

4. Melen says:

That’s a great idea Lisa! I’ve read the books in english, and now when I read about HP in french, I am lost!

5. Pavel says:

Hello,I am a HPL reader and this is a good idea. I´m from the Czech Republic. I read the books in English and I just cannot read them in Czech because I do not know what the names are.

6. beauxbatons says:

Good idea, Lisa ; I think the translation would affect the Google Trend results : for example, many French people wouldn’t google “Snape” or “Hogwarts” but “Rogue” and “Poudlard”…

7. Siri says:

Good idea, Lisa. I started to read the books in Norwegian and found it impossible to read the books in English because of all the names etc. But since I’m very excited about the last book – and don’t want to wait for the translations when it finally appear … – I’ve for a while now made my own English-Norwegian list over names and items in the HP-world. The Lexicon has been a great help here – thanks!!

8. Frits says:

I searched for Lemony Snicket and Christopher Paolini, Salt Lake City is also number 1! Why is this?

9. Langenscheidt says:

There are already lists of the different translations of the names. Check out here: http://www.eulenfeder.de/int/gbint.html

10. Sandra says:

Good idea Lisa! I can help you with the Dutch one: at http://www.dreuzels.com they’ve already made translations of all characters and a lot of other things: http://www.dreuzels.com/index3.asp?page=encyclopedie&encyclopedie=personages
    Just click on the names in Dutch and you’ll find the English name next to “naam Engels”. Good luck!

11. Sandra says:

Hmm, they’ve grouped the names under the Dutch group names. Let me help you:
    Zweinstein = Hogwarts
    De ouders = the parents
    De leden van de Orde = The members of the Order
    De Dooddoeners = The Death Eaters
    Wezens = Creatures
    Anderen = Others

O, and I see they didn’t mention the names of the houses in Dutch, so here goes:
    Hufflepuf = Huffelpuf
    Gryffindor = Griffoendor
    Slytherin = Zwadderich
    Ravenclaw = Ravenklauw

12. Isabel Nunes says:

I’m myself the translator of the Potter books into Portuguese and the issue of translating names or not is a kind of tradition in each country. There are countries in which everything is translated (street names, Mr and Mrs, surnames, etc) and others, like Portugal, where the major trend is not to translate, unless the public is very young. I never translate a name and I use footnotes when I find an explanation is in order.

13. Lisa says:

beauxbatons, that is exactly what gave me the idea. And thanks, Langenscheidt and Sandra, for the links. Um, by the way, Steve just gave me a BIG, exciting project so I’m not sure when I will get to the translated names. If someone has a list organized by character name (that’s how my pages are organized) that would really make it easier for me. You’d get credit, of course!

14. JohnyD says:

I’ve got quite extensive list of English-Czech translations (about 400 items), it covers not only characters, but also spells, potiens, place, etc.
    However it is not complete, about 20 items are missing translation. If you are interested, email me or write here, I read lexicon news often.

15. Siri says:

I’ve got lists of names, places, objects etc. in Norwegian-English translations that are more extensive than the one in http://www.eulenfeder.de/int/gbint.html. If you’re interested, just let me know.

16. Lisa says:

Wow. I was thinking of just the characters. Let me talk to the other staffers.

17. Sandra says:

Hi Lisa, I’m working on the names list in Dutch…

18. Sandra says:

And finished, I’ve sent the list to the general email adress of the site. Of course, the real work has been done by the people of http://www.dreuzels.com!

19. Siri says:

Lisa, I’ve sent you the Norwegian character names.

20. JohnyD says:

I have sent you the Czech translations. There are more than names, but there’s a filter too, so it should be okay.

21. Drew says:

It might be useful to remember that a complete search generates more accurate results.

For example, searching for Snape does yield the strongest results in the U.K. However, there is a cricket team bearing the same name. If you instead search for Severus Snape, the Czech Republic tops the list by percentage.

Google’s tools are fascinating, but sometimes independent investigation goes a littler further too.

Cheers from Nashville, Tenn.

22. meann says:

Greetings from the Philippines! The Harry Potter fan community here is definitely alive and kicking! Kudos to the staff of the Lexicon for such a wonderful site. I do log-in to the Lexicon probably more times than a normal fan should. Heheheh. :D

23. Kampah says:

Another shout-out from a Philippine fan! Your typical “Pinoy” fan is a lurker like me who avidly checks the “What’s New” section each chance he/she gets :) Nice to know our country’s passion for everything HP is finally disclosed :) Taga-san ka ngapala meann?