Updates and new stuff

I’ve been wandering around Pottermore lately. Everywhere I look, I find interesting canon information (along with the odd chocolate frog card or galleon). As I’ve mentioned before in the podcast, I won’t be posting all of that new canon information on the Lexicon. There’s no way I want the Lexicon to spoil anyone’s joy of finding for themselves things like the story of McGonagall’s lost love or the purposes of other hidden King’s Cross platforms. However, I have added to the Lexicon little tidbits here and there — Ollivander’s first name, for example. If you’re already on Pottermore you know how wonderful all of Rowling’s essays are and that there’s no substitute for reading these marvelous tales directly from her. If you’re not on Pottermore yet … well, let’s just say that you’re in for a treat when you finally get your owl, get your wand, and get Sorted. Me? I’m a Ravenclaw and my wand is hornbeam and unicorn hair.

There are a few other new things to mention. The latest episode of the HP Lexicon podcast went live over the weekend. You can find out more about it by clicking on the Podcast link on Lexicon pages (or just by clicking here). In this episode I talk about wandering down Charing Cross Road looking for the Leaky Cauldron, the purpose of book two and its connections to book six, and other odds and ends of Potter lore. You can download it from here on the Lexicon or get it on iTunes.

Also, I’ve released the first eBook in the Harry Potter Lexicon Reader’s Guide Series. This book, entitled The Reader’s Guide to Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, consists of completely updated notes, trivia, connections, plot questions, and background details about the first Harry Potter book, presented chapter by chapter and even line by line. I’m working on the second book, not surprisingly covering Chamber of Secrets, and I expect that I’ll be releasing a new volume every six months or so.

The book doesn’t simply reproduce the readers’s guides from the Lexicon website. In fact, I intentionally avoided referring back to those notes since they were written many years ago without the benefit of the viewpoint of the entire series. Instead I went at the project with “fresh eyes,” bringing to the text of the book over a decade’s worth of research into the world of Harry Potter.

So far, the book is available on the Kindle and the Nook (whose online store seems to have problems with apostrophes in their book titles, for some reason). I’m looking into releasing it in other formats as well.

Thanks for all the emails and comments. It’s great to know that there’s still such a vibrant, creative, and exciting community of fans out there enjoying Harry Potter as much as I do.

14 Responses to Updates and new stuff

1. Matt says:

My wife bought me a Kobe (Borders) for my birthday and so far I have had no excuse to use it. When your guide comes out in that format, let me know!

The podcasts have been wonderful.

2. Steve says:

I’ll let you know! I’m working on that one.

Steve

3. Robert says:

Don’t post everything, but I think you should have the important information, like the facts/summaries, just as you did with the books, where you don’t post everything word by word but the facts are all in here.
    I have been using the lexicon for years to check up little facts and things since it’s more convenient than going through the books. It would be a pity having to log onto pottermore and search there, since the format of pottermore isn’t made to find information quickly but rather to read and enjoy!

Gah, I can’t wait to get on Pottermore. Only a few more weeks, right?

In regards to posting the new Pottermore information – I definitely think you should hold off on it until everyone is on Pottermore, but I think a few weeks after it opens to the general public you should post most of the new info – just summarizing, not word for word – so the Lexicon can remain a complete resource. Because, let’s face it, what HP fan uses the Lexicon but won’t want to experience Pottermore for themselves?

As to your guides, I really wish they were available as something other than ebook. I am categorically opposed to the ebook format, and thus have no ereader on which to read them. :(

5. ZJJ says:

Anyone who doesn’t want to buy an ereader can download Kindle for PC software and use whatever computer you have to read ebooks. While I still love and prefer the feel of a real book, e-books sure do make searching for a specific quote or all the occurrences of a specific spell or other information much easier.

As for canon from Pottermore, I also vote for summaries of the key information after everyone has had a chance to get on line. As one who didn’t get to be a beta visitor, I can hardly wait for the experience but won’t feel the Lexicon is spoiling anything by posting the new info.

BTW, thanks for posting about new podcasts and thanks for the heads up about Olivander. Is the speculation about the meaning of his last name new? I missed it before somehow if it was always there. And, while I’m at it, any more clues for the treasure hunt of facts added from Pottermore? There’s so much on the Lexicon I hardly know where to start.

6. Chris says:

I’m on Pottermore, and it is very interesting. After several tries, I figured out how to brew a Boil Cure potion. Still having trouble trying to get into the Corridor with the Alohomora spell; apparently it requires nanosecond timing. :/

7. Giulia says:

Hello,
    I’m not on Pottermore, unfortunately!! :( I’d like to get on it, but the Beta version is still open, so I can’t. I’m an italian student and I’m writing my degree thesis about HP world. I’d like to know something more about Pottermore, waiting for the moment I’ll can join it!! So can anybody help me, please?? :( Thanks!!

8. shaley says:

been googling what’s up in Pottermore (since for some unfortunate event I live in a country where Pottermore is not available). It’s good to know some leaked info from time to time.

9. Priyanka says:

I simply can’t wait to get on Pottermore. I missed it in October by just a day. Now I intend to keep checking every hour if I have to come April. I love hp-lexicon and can’t even imagine the kind of work that must have gone into it… but yeah, I too get stumped as to where to start from… It’s massiver than Hagrid!!!

10. sarah the house elf says:

greatings from another pottermore ravenclaw thanks for everything

11. Martha says:

I have just bought the Kindle edition of The Reader’s Guide to Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – can’t wait to read it! I adore this site. Thank you.

12. Nishala says:

I also can’t wait to log on into Pottermore.

13. Nishala says:

I like the updates but Steve, how do I log onto Pottermore.

Thanx