"Funny, I never had the impression that I managed to teach Potter anything at all."
-- Snape discussing Harry's abilities at Potions (HBP15)
The study of potion-making through N.E.W.T.-level.
- takes place in a dungeon, drafty and cold
- usually a double class
- memorizing the properties of various potion ingredients, the composition of specific potions, and practice preparing them
- essays on the properties of potion ingredients (occasionally analyzing how a student's practical assignment specifically went wrong and how to correct it)
- Severus Snape was the Potions Master at Hogwarts from c. 1980 to the fall of 1996 .
- Horace Slughorn took over as Potions Master for the 1996 - 97 school year.
- cauldron (PS5)
- knife (PA7)
- mortar and pestle (GF27)
- potion-making kit (GF10)
- scales (brass) for measuring ingredients (PS5)
Students make simple potions such as boil cure potion (PS8).
The final exam included a practical portion requiring the students to make a Forgetfulness Potion (PS16).
The syllabus includes Shrinking Solution (PA7).
Students studied antidotes extensively, taking it seriously because Snape hinted that he might poison a student before Christmas to see if his or her antidote worked (GF15). Other potions on the syllabus included Wit-Sharpening Potion (GF27).
The syllabus includes Draught of Peace, a tricky potion that is OWL standard, and Strengthening Solution (OP12).
- drawing a diagram of a Chinese Chomping Cabbage while researching ingredients (OP16)
- researching Confusing and Befuddlement Draughts (OP18)
Studied Amortentia, Draught of Living Death, Felix Felicis, and Elixir to Induce Euphoria
- researching Everlasting Elixirs (HBP15)
Students prepare for the Potions N.E.W.T.
Rowling modeled Snape's Potions class on her own negative experiences with Chemistry:
Chemistry was my least favourite subject at school, and I gave it up as soon as I could. Naturally, when I was trying to decide which subject Harry's arch-enemy, Severus Snape, should teach, it had to be the wizarding equivalent. (Pm)