Another JKR Update

Rowling has updated her site with another new news item today. She has handwritten seven leather-bound editions of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, six of which she plans to give as ‘thank-you’ gifts to those who have helped her most, and the seventh of which she will auction off next month for charity.

Unfortunately, there’s no word on publishing the collection for fans, as she did with Quidditch Through the Ages or Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

It’s also worth noting that it is the first day of a new month, and for the first time since Rowling’s site opened, we don’t have a new Wizard of the Month. It’s possible that since she opened the WotM archives yesterday, she no longer plans to continue adding more. We’ll keep you updated, of course, if anything changes.

11 Responses to Another JKR Update

1. El Cronista de Salem says:

Who want to transcript text from the captures of the book?? (video: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7072086.stm)

I warn you my english is awful. I will try anyways:

“THE WIZARD OF THE HOPPING POT:

There was once a ____ old wizard who used his magic generously and ____ for the benefic of his neighbours. R___ ___ reveal ¿fine? sense of his…”.

Why not to publish it for Children Voice benefits? They would earn more than with an auction, and fans would be happy.

Please, help with the transcriptions!

2. julesmerope says:

El,

the text of that story is

“THE WIZARD AND THE HOPPING POT:

‘There was once a kindly old wizard who used his magic generously and wisely for the benefit of his neighbours. Rather than reveal the source of the…[text ends here]

3. Michael says:

Couldn’t there be a mass paperback version for the book? Jo would be letting us all down if these stories were to remain private.

Concerning the lawsuit, I hope the Lexicon got advance warning before that bombshell of a press release…

4. Moony =luna Lupin says:

Did I miss something? Is the hp-lexicon planning to release the content of these website-pages in a book? And why aren’t te stories of Beetle the bard accessible for all the fans?

5. Taj says:

This is a kind act on Jo’s behalf, but it’s a bit cruel to publicize this and frustrate her fans. Ah, well…We must wait for the encyclopedia.

Steve, how are you doing?

6. El Cronista de Salem says:

jo has updated the news of companion books. glup.

7. Taj says:

Wow…I just read the updated “Companion Books.” It just seems like a dreadful time for Potter fandom: No more Wizards of the Month, Jo filing a complaint against Steve, and Jo also letting us know about a book we can’t have.

*Sighs, feeling like Dumbledore watching the wizarding world torn apart by Voldemort*

8. Frits says:

Please comment on the lawsuit Steve! I’m really upset about this bussiness!

9. Ryan says:

I keep trying to forgive Jo and accept that what she is doing with “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” is a kind act for her friends, but a feeling of anger and betrayal still lingers. It’s basically as if she said, “I wrote this wonderful book and I put a lot of effort into it, but you can’t have it.” Why must she publicize it so much? Why must she almost “gloat” about it?

Maybe it’s just me, but lately I feel like Jo is not acting like the person we have come to know and love…almost like how we found about Dumbledore’s past in “Deathly Hallows”.

10. Lisa Marie says:

“As is now widely known, a complaint has been filed in the name of Warner Bros and myself against the publisher of a proposed Lexicon, written by Steven VanderArk. This decision was reached, on my part, with immense sadness and disappointment, and only because direct appeals for a reasonable solution failed. I never dreamed, in the light of our previous good relations – including giving the Lexicon a Fansite Award – that this situation would ever arise.

September 12: The Christopher Little Agency e-mailed Steve Vander Ark with a copy cc’d to RDR books, containing a reminder of JKR’s plans to write a future book and a statement that JKR did not wish to grant rights to any third party. “Appealing to Mr. Vander Ark as a friend and supporter of Ms. Rowling and the Harry Potter books, Ms. Rowling’s agent asked Mr. Vander Ark to forgo publication of the Infringing Book.” The email went unresponded for six days.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND ALL THAT!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT THE LEXICON COULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!?!?!!

11. Jessie says:

Really looking forward to when you can talk about this suit business, Steve.