map of the neighborhood around Privet Drive
This neighborhood, located in Little Whinging, Surrey, to the south-west
of London, was where Harry Potter lived from November 1, 1981 through August
1996. The Dementor attack on Harry and Dudley happened in the alley, indicated
in red on this map, between Magnolia Crescent and Wisteria Walk.
This map is created strictly from the information in the books and from
a visit to a Surrey neighborhood similar to this by Nik the Hermit, with
special thanks to Hufflepuff Mel.]
General Notes to the Local Area Map
The Local Area Map of Privet Drive is based upon research into similar
residential areas of North Surrey and elsewhere in the United Kingdom.
Most of the distances used are fairly certain and the actual orientation
of number four is already defined. This suggested layout is only one of
several that are possible. Privet Drive could (with its correct
orientation) be positioned in any of the four corners of this map;
and number four, itself, could lie to the northern or southern end of the
street. However, from both logic and "gut-feeling" I
believe that the map shown presents the most likely option possible.
As usual the map uses both Canon
Facts from the books and some Logical Deductions, thus:
- Number four faces east. (General)
- Privet Drive has twenty or so houses.
(twelve street lights PS1)
- Number four is opposite Number seven, as shown.
- Privet Drive is NOT a cul-de-sac.
It has two ends with corners
- All the houses are similar large,
square houses. (General, OP1)
- Wisteria Walk is two streets away
from Privet Drive
- Magnolia Crescent is "several
streets away" from Privet Drive.
- There is an alley between Magnolia
Crescent and Wisteria Walk. (General,
- The alley is a "shortcut" to get
from Magnolia Road to Privet Drive.
- Magnolia Road is it the far end
of Magnolia Crescent. (OP1)
- Magnolia Road leads to the play
- The Park is large enough for Harry
to be unnoticed on the unbroken swing when Big Dud and his Gang return
across the park. (OP1)
- Railings and a gate separate the park from Magnolia Road. (OP1)
- The size of the house plots is
known; about 36 yards by 18 yards. So Privet Drive is a bit over 200 yards
long. Using these sizes, Privet Drive can be placed on the map.
- The scale also works:
Harry was exhausted by the time he got to
entry to alley. No wonder: it's not that far short of half a mile from
- It also works with the walk home
to Privet Drive from the park. (length of Magnolia Road etc.)
Orientation of Magnolia Crescent:
- The alley is halfway along the
Crescent. Both ends of the Crescent are known. For it to be a valid short
cut this can be the ONLY orientation.
Position of the park, etc.:
Additional unidentified streets:
- The street between Privet Drive and Wisteria Walk
has to be there for it to be "streets away".
- The streets at the ends of
must be there. Where were the other members of Dud's Gang going
when they split up otherwise?