the school year
schedules (classes, exams)
The School Year at Hogwarts
- The year begins on September 1
- Hogwarts Express leaves King's Cross Station at 11 a.m., bringing students to Hogsmeade Station where the 2nd through 7th years ride horseless carriages up to the castle and 1st years cross the lake in boats with Hagrid
- the start-of-year feast
- the Sorting
- a few words from Dumbledore
- vast quantities of food and drink
- a few more words from Dumbledore, including the "start-of-term notices"
- classes begin on September 2 - schedules handed out at breakfast
- Quidditch trials during the second week (PS7), also flying lessons for first years
- Halloween Feast on the evening of October 31
- hundreds of live bats flying around
- delicious pumpkin treats
- first Quidditch match in the beginning of November
- second week of December McGonangall takes names of those who are staying over the Christmas holidays
- end of first term is usually about a week before Christmas and most of the students and some of the teachers go home
- December 25: Christmas Feast
- shortly after January 1: Hogwarts Express returns and start of second term
- Easter holidays - two-week break, students go home, exact dates vary every year
- exams are held the first week of June
- results come out the second week of June
- Leaving Feast, sometimes called the end-of-term feast, the evening before the Hogwarts Express goes back to London
- the Hogwarts Express returns to London during the third week of June
- all staff and students leave Hogwarts during the summer except for Filch (SN)
Daily Routines at Hogwarts
- The day begins with breakfast in the Great Hall. During breakfast, the morning mail arrives in a flurry of hundreds of owls. A bell signals the start of the first class at 9 am.
- There are two morning classes with a break between (signalled by a bell), followed by lunch and a break.
- After lunch, classes resume at 1 pm. It is not clear if there are one or two classes in the afternoon.
- Supper is served in the Great Hall toward evening, after which the students are expected to be in their House common rooms for studying and socializing. Curfew for older students is 9 pm (OP).
- There is no set bedtime after supper.
Gryffindor class schedules (Harry's year)