Newt only meant to stay in New York for a few hours. Circumstances ensured that he remained... for the length of a movie, anyway. X
-- J. K. Rowling (JKR:Tw)
New York is the most populous city of the United States of America and one of the most famous cities in the world.
- New York is home to the Magical Congress of the United States or MACUSA, which presently meets in a hidden part of the famous Woolworth Building (Pm).
- Newt Scamander brought a case full of fantastic beasts with him when he visited New York City in 1926. When they escaped, he rounded them up again with the help of the Goldstein sisters and a No-Maj named Jacob Kowalski. Newt told Tina Goldstein that he came to New York to buy a rare Appaloosa Puffskein as a present for someone, but in reality he meant to travel on to the desert of Arizona to release his Thunderbird, which he rescued from captivity in Egypt (WFT, FB/1).
- Evil wizard Gellert Grindelwald was also present in 1926, although as a wanted criminal he kept his identity concealed. At the same time, an Obscurial caused havoc around New York, committing murder and tearing up buildings and streets. Newt Scamander and ex-Auror Tina Goldstein helped MACUSA solve the mystery of who the Obscurial was and why the dark power was unleashed (WFT, FB/1).
- An anti-magic group called the Second Salem Philanthropic Organization held rallies in 1920s New York City, led by charismatic leader Mary Lou Barebone and her adopted children (WFT, FB/1).
- After having his memory erased, Jacob Kowalski started a bakery with money earned from selling silver Occamy eggs. He baked cookies that resembled all the creatures in Newt Scamander's case even though he couldn't remember where he had seen them (WFT, FB/1).