Notes by Michele L. Worley
Page editor Belinda Hobbs
U.S. hardcover edition: pages 201 - 222
U.K. hardcover edition: pages 166 - 183
Timeframe: 2 August - 5 August,
In which Lupin seeks out HRH at Grimmauld Place and offers to accompany them on their quest, but Harry refuses, recognizing that Lupin is seeking escape from complications in his personal life. Kreacher returns with Mundungus, who reveals that Umbridge took the locket from him as a bribe for not turning him in for selling magical artefacts without a license.
Interesting facts and notes about the text of this chapter:
two cloaked men had appeared
The men are Death Eaters, of course. They sensed that someone was using Voldemort's name in that location, although they had no chance of seeing it. The first one of the trio to say the name aloud was Hermione:
"...that's why you were supposed to use Occumency! Otherwise Voldermort can plan falso image in your mind, remember?" (DH9)
a supper composed largely of moldy bread
This isn't surprising, on one level - the house is no longer in use, unless Kreacher has been coming back here despite having been assigned to live at Hogwarts at the beginning of HBP.
It's also a nice use of food to help set the mood.
A fire sprang up instantly: It gave the illusion of coziness to the stark stone walls and glistened off the long wooden table. Lupin pulled a few butterbeers from beneath his travelling cloak
Literally lighting up the room upon his entrance, with butterbeer to further help the mood to change.
It's impossible to track anyone who Apparates, unless you grab hold of them as they disappear!
Hmm. Must make life difficult for the Magical Law Enforcement people who regulate Apparition.
seven is the age by which most experts agree that magic will have revealed itself, if present
Neville Longbottom, for one, showed magical ability at a slightly later age than this (see his first conversation after the Sorting in PS).
There was the sound of pattering feet, a blaze of shining copper, and echoing clang and a shriek of agony.
Looked like a toad.
Umbridge, in other words.
Characters introduced in this chapter:
- (unnamed) two cloaked men
Characters returning in this chapter:
- Fletcher, Mundungus
- Granger, Hermione
- Potter, Harry
- Weasley, Ronald ("Ron")
Characters mentioned in this chapter:
- Bagshot, Bathilda
- Black, Sirius
- Black, Walburga
- Dumbledore, Aberforth
- Dumbledore, Albus
- Dumbledore, Ariana
- Dumbledore, Kendra
- Dumbledore, Percival
- Lupin, Remus John
- Moody, Alastor ("Mad Eye")
- Potter, James
- Riddle, Tom (Voldemort, You-Know-Who)
- Scrimgeour, Rufus
- Shacklebolt, Kingsley
- Skeeter ,Rita
- Snape, Severus
- Thicknesse, Pius
- Tonks, Andromeda Black
- Tonks, Nymphadora
- Tonks, Ted
- Umbridge, Dolores
- Weasley, Arthur
Settings and locations introduced or returning in this chapter:
- Grimmauld Square
- number twelve, Grimmauld Place
Settings and locations mentioned in this chapter:
- Burrow, the
- Daedalus Diggle's house
- Godric's Hollow
- Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - Astronomy Tower
- Horcrux cave
- Diagon Alley
- Tottenham Court Road
- Tonks' parents house
Exceptional character moments:
- Lupin, speaking of his marriage.
- Crucio (Cruciatus Curse)
- Disapparition (mentioned)
- Expecto Patronum (Patronus referred to)
- Fidelius Charm (apparently still in force)
- Tongue-Tying Curse (referred to)
- Trace, the
- unnamed protective charms on the Tonks' place
- unnamed defensive spells cast against the Death Eaters
- spell Lupin used on Harry
Links and Resources:
- Bestiary (dementors, ghoul, house-elf, Inferi, werewolves)
- blood status (half-bloods, Mudbloods, Muggle-borns, purebloods, Squibs)
- Secrets of the Darkest Art
- Tales of Beedle the Bard, The
- Daily Prophet
- Death Eaters
- Defence Against the Dark Arts
- house-elf magic (Apparition, Disapparition)
- items and devices
- Horcruxes (Slytherin's locket)
- Marauder's Map
- Veil, the
- food (butterbeer, Cauldron Cakes)
- law (wizarding wills)
- Ministry of Magic
- Department of Mysteries
- Minister for Magic
- Muggle-born Register / Muggle-born Registration Commission
- Order of the Phoenix
- "Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck?"
- "No, he hasn't. He's wondering whether he should have asked more money for it."
- drawing room
Begins on the same day as the previous chapter, so it is 2 August. Kreacher is missing "the following day" and "the day after that" which brings us through 3 and 4 August to 5 August.