A small town along the River Otter in Devon, near Exeter. Ottery St. Catchpole is a Muggle town but has historically also been a large settlement for wizarding families (DH16), including the Weasleys (GF6). As a result, Harry spent more time here while growing up than anywhere else outside of Little Whinging and Hogwarts.
Locations in Ottery St. Catchpole:
- the Burrow, home of the Weasley family
- the Diggory house
- the Fawcett house
- the Lovegood house
- a Muggle paper shop
- a Muggle post office
- Stoatshead Hill (just outside town)
Residents of Ottery St. Catchpole:
- the Diggorys: Amos, Cedric (until 1995), & Mrs. Diggory
- the Fawcetts, including Miss Fawcett of Ravenclaw
- the Lovegoods: Luna and her father, Xenophilius
- the Weasley family
- a redheaded Muggle boy, who unknowingly gave a hair from his head so Harry could be disguised as Barney Weasley (DH8)
Ottery St. Catchpole is not a real town in England. However, it is described as being on the south coast of England (DH16), and it is almost certain that the town is along the Otter River because of its name. There is, in fact, a village called Ottery St. Mary near Exeter, and just a couple of miles from the coast. In that same general area is a farm called The Burrow (really!) which has a hill near it called Stoat Hill.