Oliver Wood is in his fourth year, while Charlie Weasley is in his seventh and is Quidditch Captain. On the other hand, the rest of the team are second years, so perhaps it’s just a matter of their being inexperienced. The team consisted of:
- Charlie Weasley – seventh year, Seeker, Captain
- Oliver Wood – fourth year, Keeper
- Angelina Johnson – second year, Chaser
- Alicia Spinnet – second year, Chaser
- unknown third Chaser – possibly seventh year or simply not a good player since he/she isn’t back in the 1991-1992 season
- Fred Weasley – second year, Beater
- George Weasley – second year, Beater
We don’t know for sure which years Charlie was Captain of Quidditch, but it seems likely that we was Captain in his seventh year and possibly one or two years before that as well.
We aren’t told why this team was so poor, since they have a superb Keeper and a Seeker who could have played for England, but McGonagall says of them a year later:
“Heaven knows, we need a better team than last year. Flattened in that last match by Slytherin, I couldn’t look Severus Snape in the face for weeks…” (PS9)
We are also not told why Fred and George would have been familiar with Wood's pre-game speeches at the beginning of the 1991-1992 season when he wasn't the Captain this year. While this isn't an error exactly, it does suggest that Rowling wrote these passages without realizing that the facts wouldn't fit together very well.