"'Follow the spiders.' I'll never forgive Hagrid. We're lucky to be alive."
-- Ron Weasley, after an evening jaunt in the Forest (CS15)
Spiders are arachnids, eight-legged creatures similar to insects. Hogwarts castle has quite a few common spiders, as do most human habitations. Magical spiders, unlike their common relatives, can be quite large and terrifying. The acromantula, a gigantic arachnid native to Borneo, is the best known of the magical spiders (FB, CS15, GF31, OP16).
- The fake Moody used three spiders to demonstrate the Unforgivable Curses (GF14).
- Lee Jordan had a giant tarantula in a box (PS6)
- Harry encountered an acromantula in the maze of the third task. He and Cedric defeated it together (GF31, (OP16).
- Spiders the size of saucers infested a dresser at number twelve, Grimmauld Place (OP6).
- The Weasleys' broom shed, where Dumbledore talked with Harry after recruiting Slughorn, is full of spiders (HBP04).
- The cupboard under the stairs was full of spiders (PS2).
- Ron Weasley's greatest fear is spiders, ever since the twins turned his teddy bear into a giant spider when he was little. He can work with dead spiders as potion ingredients without difficulty, however (CS9, PA7).