"Welcome to Diagon Alley."
Harry and Hagrid visit Diagon Alley. Harry realizes how famous he is when he is recognized at the Leaky Cauldron. At Gringotts, Harry learns of his parents’ fortune and Hagrid retrieves the Philosopher’s Stone. Harry meets Draco Malfoy for the first time at Madame Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions. Harry buys his wand, which Ollivander tells him is the brother of Voldemort’s. Hagrid gives Hedwig to Harry as a birthday present.
Prices seen and heard in Diagon Alley on July 31, 1991 and their value in GB£ and US$ on that date:
- Prophet Delivery: 5 knuts (SS: Diagon Alley) = £0.06 / $0.09
- Dragon Liver: 16 sickles/ounce (SS: Diagon Alley) = £4.71 / $7.93
- Unicorn Horn: 21 galleons (SS: Diagon Alley) = £105.00 / $176.87
- Black Beetle Eyes: 5 knuts/scoop (SS: Diagon Alley) =£0.06 $0.09
- Wand: 7 galleons (SS: Diagon Alley) = £35.00 / $58.96
We aren’t told how much he paid for the rest of the things on his shopping list.
Tags: anxiety fame prejudice presents surprise wandlore wishes