"The Malfoys. The family you can always rely on to make the world a murkier place."
-- Scorpius Malfoy (CC3.3)
The Malfoy family is an old and aristocratic pure-blood wizarding family, one of the “Sacred Twenty-eight”. They live in Malfoy Manor, a large, ornate house which has been in the family for generations. The Malfoys are extremely wealthy. All members of the Malfoys have been sorted into Slytherin House at Hogwarts.
Members of the Malfoy family, alphabetically by first name:
- Abraxas Malfoy - Draco's grandfather who died of dragon pox (HBP9).
- Astoria (Greengrass) Malfoy - Wife of Draco Malfoy, and mother of Scorpius Malfoy (YL, CC).
- Draco Malfoy (b. June 5, 1980) - Lucius' and Narcissa's only child.
- Lucius Malfoy (b. circa 1954) - A Death Eater once incarcerated in Azkaban. Husband to Narcissa and father to Draco.
- Narcissa (Black) Malfoy (b. 1955) - Lucius' wife and Draco's mother; blonde, blue eyes, with a look on her face as if there were something smelly under her nose (GF8).
- Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy - The only child of Draco and Astoria Malfoy (YL, CC).
JKR has stated that the name is purely made up, but she acknowledged that "mal foi" is French for "bad faith" (RAH).
In early drafts of the Philosopher's Stone, Draco's last name was originally 'Spinks' (HPM) and 'Spungen' (JKR). 'Spungen', which was revealed 9 March 2006 in the "Very early draft of Philosophers Stone", almost certainly refers to Nancy Spungen, the girlfriend of punk guitarist Sid Vicious.
"Slippery" is a good description of the Malfoy family. They fancy themselves leaders and can usually get away with it due to their money, influence and brazenness, but ultimately, self-preservation always seems to trump loyalties or ideology.