"This Book is the Property of the Half-Blood Prince" (HBP9)
The Prince’s copy of Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage was given to Harry Potter out of a cabinet by Professor Horace Slughorn on the first day of N.E.W.T. level Potions class in his sixth year.
Unlike Ron Weasley’s copy from the same cabinet, Harry’s was inscribed with various spells and helpful-hints for improved potions (HBP10) that led to Slughorn thinking of him as a “dab hand” (HBP9) and Potioneer (HBP18) like his mother Lily had been (HBP22).
Harry found the name “Half-Blood Prince” inscribed at the bottom of the back cover (HBP9). When his own copy of the book arrived from Flourish and Blotts, he swapped the book covers around by magic, so that the Prince’s copy only looked like it was the new one (HBP11).
Along with the Half-Blood Prince’s handwritten invented spells, there were also instructions to “just shove a bezoar down their throats” in case of a poisoning.
The official printed contents include:
- Felix Felicis, known as “Liquid Luck” (HBP9, HBP24)
- Draught of Living Death (HBP9)
- An Elixir to Induce Euphoria (HBP22)
- Everlasting Elixirs (HBP15)
- an explanation of Golpalott’s Third Law, in the chapter on Antidotes (HBP18).
- Langlock (HBP12, HBP19)
- Levicorpus (HBP12, HBP16, HBP18, HBP24), and its counter-spell Liberacorpus (HBP12)
- Muffliato (HBP12, HBP14, HBP19, HBP24)
- Sectumsempra (HBP21, HBP24, HBP26, HBP28)
- Toenail-Growing Hex (HBP12).
From the Web
Writing by J K Rowling on WizardingWorld (Pottermore):
Harry Potter Wiki: