Sold in In Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop, and bought by Lee Jordan and the Weasley Twins (CS4).
- After dinner at the Burrow the Twins set them off inside the kitchen. They "filled the kitchen with red and blue stars that bounced from ceiling to wall for at least half an hour" (CS4).
- On Halloween in second year, Fred and George fed one firework to a salamander and it rose whirling into the air, belching out tangerine-colored stars (CS8).
- Harry used one in Potions class to create a diversion so Hermione could steal ingredients for the Polyjuice Potion from Snape's closet. He threw it into Goyle's cauldron, where it exploded, splashing everyone with Swelling Solution (CS11).
- The Twins set some off on the Hogwarts Express as they traveled home (CS18).
- Several went off inside a Muggle taxi when Fred's trunk opened unexpectedly as the Weasleys, Hermione and Harry rode to King's Cross to catch the Hogwarts Express after Christmas (GF11). Crookshanks the cat was so startled he clawed the taxi driver in the leg.
- Lee Jordan set some off to celebrate Harry's win in the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament (GF21).
- When Harry saw the Twin's Wildfire Whiz-bangs, he said "'Very impressive… you'll put Dr Filibuster out of business, no problem…'" (OP28).
"filibuster" - originally from the Spanish "filibustero" meaning a pirate or buccaneer of the Caribbean in the 17th century; later used in government to mean an interruption in the passage of a bill, as if it had been stolen or pirated