“It says on your school list that you’re supposed to have dress robes this year . . . robes for formal occasions.” -- Molly Weasley (GF10)
Dress robes are a formal style of robe that witches and wizards wear for special occasions. At Hogwarts, students in their fourth year and above are required to have dress robes to wear to formal events. In the books, this is exemplified at the Yule Ball.
Descriptions of students in dress robes:
- Harry: much like his school robes, but bottle green (bought for him by Molly using his money)
- Ron: (bought second-hand by Molly, so she didn't have many choices; frightfully out of style) maroon with lace at the collar and cuffs, which he tried to remove with a Severing Charm.
- Crabbe and Goyle: green (Harry thought they looked like moss-covered boulders)
- Parvati Patil: shocking pink
- Padma Patil: bright turquoise
- Fleur Delacour - silver-gray satin
- Draco Malfoy - black velvet with a high collar, which in Harry's opinion made him look like a vicar
- Pansy Parkinson: very frilly robes of pale pink
- Hermione: floaty, periwinkle-blue material
- McGonagall: red tartan and a rather ugly wreath of thistles around the brim of her hat
- Ludo Bagman: bright purple with large yellow stars
- Madame Maxime: flowing gown of lavender silk
- Percy Weasley: brand-new, navy-blue dress robes
Stores where you can buy clothing/wizard dress robes:
- Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions
- During one summer sale, they sold robes which were spangled, self-ironing, beautifying, slimming, fattening, lengthening, temperature-adjusting, and plain, with a free frog-skin belt with every purchase (DP).
- Gladrags Wizardwear (GF8, GF27)
- Second-hand robe shop in Diagon Alley (CS4)
Photo of Harry Potter and Ron Weasley from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire film.