"Harry's is better than ours, though ...She obviously makes more of an effort if you're not family."
-- Fred Weasley (PS12)
The Weasley sweater (Weasley jumper) is a hand-made piece of clothing worn by the children of the Weasley family, and by Harry Potter once he becomes Ron’s friend at school.
Every Christmas, Molly Weasley knitted new Christmas jumpers (US “sweaters”) for her children and Harry Potter, often with their initials on them. Ron’s sweater was usually maroon – a colour he dislikes for some unknown reason (PS12).
List of Weasley jumpers
- Harry – thick and emerald green
- Ron – maroon, which he hated
- Percy – “lumpy” with a P on it. The Twins forced over his head.
- Fred and George – blue with yellow initials F and G (which they joked meant “Gred and Forge”)
- Harry – hand-knitted, unknown color. Draco Malfoy made fun of it from the Slytherin table.
- Harry – scarlet and decorated with a Gryffindor lion
- Ron – maroon again
- Harry – green with a dragon on the front, possibly the Hungarian Horntail he challenged in the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament
- Ron – maroon (GF26), which he gave to Dobby the house-elf (who made it shrink and wore it with shorts and Vernon’s old yellow socks)
- Harry – unknown color
- Percy – sent his back to his mother and made her cry
- Harry – unknown color, with a Golden Snitch on the front
- All the Weasleys got sweaters, but Bill’s girlfriend Fleur was left out
- No new Weasley sweaters but, in Godric’s Hollow on Christmas Eve, Harry fondly recalled Christmas at Hogwarts and Ron in his Weasley sweater
Getting hand-knitted sweaters every Christmas meant so much to Harry because whilst growing up with the Dursleys he was forced to wear Dudleys old hand-me-downs. For instance there was the sweater - "brown with orange puff balls" - that young Harry found so repulsive that he accidentally made it shrink to "hand-puppet" size with underage magic (PS2). Harry never received any good presents from the Dursleys either, so the sweaters and food gifts from Molly were welcome. Unlike Ron or Percy, Harry never took such displays of affection for granted.
From the Web
Harry Potter Wiki: Weasley jumper
Tags: family gifts love motherly love