NOTE: Several departments are mentioned in early canon -- the novels and the Daily Prophets -- which do not fit the hierarchy of the Ministry as detailed in later books.
The Department's offices are located on Level Seven of Ministry of Magic Headquarters. Here you'll find not only the British and Irish Quidditch League Headquarters but also the Official Gobstones Club and the Ludicrous Patents Office (OP7).
- Fudge was a junior minister in this Department c. 1981 and was one of the first on the scene when Pettigrew attacked Sirius Black and killed a number of Muggles (PA10).
- Arnold Peasegood, an Obliviator (GF7, DP)
- Leonard Spencer-Moon, who served as wartime Minster for Magic during the Muggle Second World War, started his Ministry career as a tea-boy in this department (Pm: Ministers for Magic).
Main Offices: level three of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
Main Offices: level five of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
- work with magical governments of other countries
- sets standards for trade
- creates regulations for things like cauldron thickness
- worked with Department of Magical Games and Sports on the Triwizard Tournament
International Confederation of Wizards, British Seats
International Magical Office of Law
International Magical Trading Standards Body
This department was established by Artemisia Lufkin c. 1800. (Pm: Ministers for Magic)
Head: Amelia Bones until July 1996, Pius Thicknesse (until promoted to Minister of Magic in August 1997) (DH11)
- See known Aurors, past and present.
- See known members of the Wizengamot, past and present.
- Barty Crouch senior was head of this department during the Voldemort years (GF27)
- Hopkirk, Mafalda, Improper Use of Magic Office (CS2)
- Perkins (CS3, etc) the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office
- Weasley, Arthur, head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office (CS3, etc) until July 1996
- Bob Ogden, head of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad c. 1920s (HBP10)
- Alastair Gumboil (room 919) handles applications for Hit Wizards (DP2)
- Basil, worked the Portkey terminus for the World Cup (GF7)
- Madam Edgecombe, Floo Regulation
Main Offices: level six of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
- Bob (who was carrying the fire-breathing chicken) (OP7)
- Dirk Cresswell (HBP4)
- Amos Diggory (GF9)
- Cuthbert Mockridge (GF7)
- Newt Scamander, 1915 - (FB)
Main Offices: level four of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
- Broderick Bode "Unspeakable" (GF7) (deceased January 1996 (OP25)
- Professor Saul Croaker: "Unspeakable" (GF7, Pm)
- Augustus Rookwood: spied for Voldemort (c. 1980) (GF30)
Main Offices: level nine of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
- corridor: bare walls, no windows or doors except a plain black door set at the end of the corridor (OP7)
- opening at the end of the corridor near the door, opens to the left, down a flight of steps to the Wizengamot court chamber (OP7, OP8)
Miscellaneous Committees etc.
for which we don't know the department
Wizarding Examinations Authority
Personnel: headed by Griselda Marchbanks, includes Professor Tofty
Not sure if this is actually a Ministry organization, but since the Ministry clearly holds authority over Hogwarts it seems likely that this body is part of the Ministry of Magic. They administer the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T exams for students which are given in June every year. Members travel to Hogwarts and test individual students for the practical examinations. The theory portion of the O.W.L. test is proctored by Hogwarts staff members (Flitwick administered the Defence Against the Dark Arts exam twenty years ago, while McGonagall proctored the Charms O.W.L. for Harry's class). (JKR, OP15, 31).
Responsible for hiding the giant Kelpie in Loch Ness from Muggle eyes (DP).