"We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times."
-- Arthur Weasley to Harry Potter (GF6)
A department of the Ministry of Magic which has responsibility for wizard transportation and travel methods
Head: Percy Weasley, by 2014 (Pm:QWC)
- Basil, worked the Portkey terminus for the 1994 Quidditch World Cup (GF7)
- a wizard in a tweed suit and galoshes, also at the Portkey terminus with Basil (GF7)
- Madam Edgecombe, Floo Regulator (OP27)
- Wilkie Twycross, Apparition Instructor (HBP18)
Main Offices: level six of Ministry of Magic Headquarters (OP7)
This is the Department that handled the complicated problems of transporting people to the World Cup, including setting up a network of Portkeys all over Britain and working out where it was safe to Apparate into the area without being seen (GF6).
Offices within the Department include:
- The Apparition Test Centre (OP7) administers the test and provides instructors for apparition lessons.
- Broom Regulatory Control (OP7) oversees broomstick safety.
- The Floo Network Authority (OP7) controls the Floo Network; the Floo Regulation Panel (GF4) controls the connections of fireplaces to the Floo Network.
- Portkey Office (OP7) is in charge of authorising and registering Portkeys (OP3, OP36)
Ministry Cars navigate traffic with magical ease (PA5, HBP6).
The Hogwarts Express train was created to avoid the detection of wizarding children returning to school each year by observant Muggles (Pm).
The Knight Bus (PA3) and the Puddlemere United flying team bus (DP1) are further examples of wizarding vehicles.