"MAKE A BANG AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL ACCIDENTS AND CATASTROPHES"
-- career advice brochure (OP29)
A department of the Ministry of Magic which has responsibility for being first on the scene when magical spells go wrong or Muggles become aware of wizarding activity
Members of this Department, also known simply as the Department of Magical Catastrophes, leap into action when magic spells go awry, particularly when magical effects are spotted by Muggles. The Department works in concert with other Departments to "clean up" the scene of any such event, modifying memories and undoing magical damage. If necessary, the Department will create alternate stories to feed to the Muggle press to keep the existence of the magical community a secret.
The Department operates teams which can respond at a moment's notice to a magical accident. These teams include:
- the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, which includes the Obliviator Headquarters
- the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee
- the Office of Misinformation
Known Department personnel, past and present
Heads: none known
- Cornelius Fudge was a junior minister in this Department c. 1981 and was one of the first on the scene when Pettigrew attacked Sirius Black and killed a number of Muggles (PA10).
- Arnold Peasegood, an Obliviator (GF7, DP3)
- Leonard Spencer-Moon, who served as wartime Minster for Magic during the Muggle Second World War, started his Ministry career as a tea-boy in this department (Pm: Ministers for Magic).
Main Offices: The main offices of the Department are located on level three of Ministry of Magic Headquarters. The offices include the headquarters of the Obliviators, witches and wizards trained in memory modification (OP7)
- The careers advice pamphlet issued by the Department for recruiting students at Hogwarts was entitled: MAKE A BANG AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL ACCIDENTS AND CATASTROPHES. (OP29)
- Harry, when identifying himself as "Vernon Dudley" to the group of Snatchers, told them that his father worked for the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. Scabior responded that he thought there was in fact someone named Dudley in that Department (DH23).
- Mentioned in the first WOMBAT test (JKR-W1)