"But if the Improper Use of Magic lot get their hands on Mad-Eye, he’s had it -- think of his record"
-- Amos Diggory about Mad-Eye Moody (GF11)
A division of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement in the Ministry of Magic.
Improper Use of Magic Office
- Located on Level Two of the Ministry of Magic (OP7)
- Dolores Umbridge started as an intern in the Improper Use of Magic Office and became its Head during her rise through the Department (Pm)
- Orabella Nuttley was a clerk in the Office during the 18th century (BoS)
- Sent Harry warning letters when use of underage magic was detected at the Dursleys' house (CS2, OP2). The letters are signed by Mafalda Hopkirk, an assistant (CS2, OP2, DH12)
- Was the subject of an enquiry when employee Rufus Fudge caused a Muggle underground train to disappear in London (DP2)
- Mrs Weasley worries that Fred and George will run foul of this office if they keep on getting into trouble, after she discovers semi-legal items being marketed as "Weasley's Wizard Wheezes" (GF5)
- Amos Diggory lets Arthur Weasley know that a squad from the Office is on its way over to Mad-Eye Moody's house after an exploding dustbin incident (GF11)
- Registers wizards who can turn themselves into an Animagus (GF26)
- Hermione uses Polyjuice Potion to transform herself into and Improper Use of Magic Office employee in order to get into the Ministry and is then drafted for recordkeeping by Dolores Umbridge (DH12)
- Dumbledore's Aunt Honoria was engaged to someone in the Improper Use of Magic Office before breaking off the engagement (TBB-WHH)
- The inventor of the Mending Charm, Orabella Nuttley, worked by day in the Improper Use of Magic Office (BoS)
While the date printed on DP2 is 8 February 1999, the timeframe for these events is 1992-1993.