"I was only trying it for a laugh"
-- Alasdair Maddock to the Daily Prophet (DP1)
- He is photographed in a field trying to “head the ball” like a Muggle football player. Maddock also tried to dribble a Quaffle like a basketball during the previous season’s game against the Caerphilly Catapults (DP1).
- He unsuccessfully tries to kick the Snitch in a game against the Kenmare Kestrels and is threatened by manager Cormack McLeod with being turned into a jellyfish (DP2, Pm).
- He is sacked by McLeod from the Magpies after being caught experimenting with Muggle metal sticks (golf clubs) (DP3, Pm).
Alasdair is the Scottish form of the name Alexander which comes from the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), meaning "defending men" (αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man") (Behind the Name).
Maddock is a form of the ancient Welsh male given name Matoc (from mad meaning "fortunate, "good") (Internet Surname Database). The legendary Prince Madoc ap Owain Gwynedd "discovered" America 300 years before Columbus.
Although the dates printed on the Daily Prophet Newsletters are:
the timeframe for these events is 1992-1993.
From the Web
Writing by J K Rowling on Pottermore: The Daily Prophet
- The British and Irish Quidditch League
- British and Irish Quidditch teams to support
- Quidditch collection
Harry Potter Wiki: Alasdair Maddock