"I am frankly embarrassed that this once fine Chaser has resorted to hitting non-flying balls into holes in the ground."
-- Cormack McLeod (DP3)
It is reported that Chaser Maddock of the Montrose Magpies Quidditch team was sacked by team manager Cormack McLeod prior to the game against Caerphilly Catapults, having been caught trying a Muggle sport that uses “peculiar metal sticks” to hit “non-flying balls into holes in the ground” (golf….).
This is the third in a series of articles where we learn about Alasdair Maddock and his fondness for Muggle sports:
- Magpie Chaser "Only Tried Football for a Laugh" (DP1),
- Maddock blamed for Kestrels' win (DP2),
- Mugglemaniac Maddock must quit Magpies, says McLeod (DP3).
Fans of the Montrose Magpies were divided about Maddock, but golf is one of those sports that splits opinions - even in the Muggle world.
Although the date printed on the third Daily Prophet Newsletter (DP3) is 1 June 1999, the timeframe for this event is 1992-1993.
From the Web
Writing by J K Rowling on Pottermore: The Daily Prophet
- The British and Irish Quidditch League
- British and Irish Quidditch teams to support
- Quidditch collection
Harry Potter Wiki: Montrose Magpies