"A Ministry of Magic Masking Fog will be created ten minutes before start of play. Spectators are therefore advised to arrive early."
-- Match Information (DP2)
"Friday: Holyhead Harpies versus Puddlemere United. Ministry of Magic seeks to minimize crowd trouble: wands will be confiscated at the gates and the Magical Law Enforcement Squad will be out in force. Ilkley Moor."
-- Match Information (DP3)
Quidditch League Table
Heading up the Sports section of the Prophet, the League Table sets out the current standings for the British and Irish Quidditch League. Reflecting the volatile nature of the game, the team standings (both up and down) change in each issue. The table shows the overall point scores for the thirteen League teams:
- Appleby Arrows
- Ballycastle Bats
- Caerphilly Catapults
- Chudley Cannons
- Falmouth Falcons
- Holyhead Harpies
- Kenmare Kestrels
- Montrose Magpies
- Pride of Portree
- Puddlemere United
- Tutshill Tornados
- Wigtown Wanderers
- Wimbourne Wasps
This section also includes the forthcoming match notices for both League and international Quidditch fixtures:
- Wigtown Wanderers v Puddlemere United on the Yorkshire moors, including a warning about making too much noise (DP1)
- Falmouth Falcons v Pride of Portree – an Invisibility Charm was put on the stadium in Exmoor and attendees were advised to pick up Re-Visibility Spectacles (DP1).
- Wimbourne Wasps v Holyhead Harpies on Exmoor – having lifted the unsuccessful Invisibility Charm, the Ministry are trying a Masking Fog for this match (DP2)
- Chudley Cannons v Wigtown Wanderers, Bodmin Moor (DP2)
- An international friendly match between Scotland and Transylvania (DP2).
- Holyhead Harpies v Puddlemere United, Ilkley Moor – crowd trouble is anticipated, so wands will be confiscated at the gates (DP3)
- Chudley Cannons v Falmouth Falcons, Exmoor (DP3)
- Wimbourne Wasps v Kenmare Kestrels, Bodmin Moor (DP3)
- International: English under-17s v Armenian Junior Nationals (DP3).
- Tutshill Tornados v Wigtown Wanderers, Bodmin Moor (DP4)
- Ballycastle Bats v Caerphilly Catapults – due to Muggles camping on Ellis Moor, a new venue is to be decided (DP4)
- Kenmare Kestrels v Wigtown Wanderers (DP4).
The manager of the Chudley Cannons says "we might not be relegated" after a win against the Wigtown Wanderers (DP3) and a later article mentions that the Falmouth Falcons are "almost certain to be relegated" after their loss against the Cannons (DP4).
If teams can be relegated this implies that there is a lower league into which they will go (and also that a team will correspondingly come up to replace them).
However, in Quidditch Through the Ages it states that
"....professional Quidditch teams have been limited in number since 1674 when the League was established. At that time, the thirteen best Quidditch teams in Britain and Ireland were selected to join the League and all others were asked to disband. The thirteen teams continue to compete each year for the League Cup." (QA7)
The Daily Prophet
Although the dates printed on the four Daily Prophet Newsletters are:
the timeframe for the events in these newsletters is 1992-1993.
From the Web
Writing by J K Rowling on Pottermore: The Daily Prophet
- The British and Irish Quidditch League
- British and Irish Quidditch teams to support
- Quidditch collection
Harry Potter Wiki: Quidditch