"The only all-witch team currently playing in the Quidditch league have been attracting new fans every match."
-- from an article in the Daily Prophet (DP1)
Quidditch team based on Anglesey in Wales, founded in 1203. (QA7)
- The Holyhead Harpies only hire witches on their team. (QA7, DP1)
- Famous match: defeat of the Heidelberg Harriers in a seven-day match in 1953, widely considered to be "one of the finest games ever seen". (QA7)
- Former Seeker: Glynnis Griffiths (1953). (QA7)
- Former Captain: Gwendolyn Morgan, on a Cleansweep 5 (1953). (QA7)
- most recent Captain (retired by 2014): Gwenog Jones. (FW, HBP4, Pm)
- Former Chaser: Wilda Griffiths. (DP2, DP3, DP4)
- Current Chaser: Valmai Morgan. (DP3, DP4)
- Horace Slughorn is a fan of the Harpies and receives free tickets to matches from Gwenog Jones, a former member of his Slug Club at Hogwarts. (HBP4)
- After leaving Hogwarts, Ginny Weasley played for the Holyhead Harpies, before retiring to raise a family and become the Senior Quidditch Correspondent at the Daily Prophet (BLC, Pm). Ginny had a poster of Gwenog on her bedroom wall in The Burrow. (DH7)
Holyhead is a seaport city on the west side of the Island of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) in North Wales. It has two football teams listed in its Wikipedia entry, but no Quidditch team is mentioned (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holyhead).
Although the dates printed on the Daily Prophet Newsletters are DP1: 31 July 1998, DP2: 8 February 1999, DP3: 1 June 1999 and DP4: 1 October 1999, the timeframe for those events is 1992-1993.