"....if this is what they do when they get into the semis, imagine what we’re facing if they reach the final. I’m thinking security trolls."
-- an ICWQC official after the USA win over Liechtenstein (Pm)
- Team members were (Pm):
- They flew on Starsweeper XXI brooms (Pm).
- Their first match at the tournament, against the Jamaican national side, was won by the narrow margin of 240 points to 230 after Jamaica's Keeper, Kquewanda Bailey, collapsed due to an injury she had sustained during the opening ceremony (Pm).
- Playing their next match against Liechtenstein in the quarter-finals, the US won by a decisive 450 points to 290. Fan celebrations after the match got a bit out of hand, particularly as some over-exuberant US supporters kidnapped Liechtenstein's team mascot, Hans the Augurey. This caused an international incident (Pm).
- A thrilling two-day match was lost to the Brazilian National Team by 420 points to 310 (Pm).
- The play-off for third place was won by Japan (Japan 330 - USA 120). However, this was still considered a successful tournament for the American team overall (Pm).
The most popular broom sport in the United States, Quodpot is played in the Americas. It is also played in other countries as a "minority sport", but has never eclipsed the worldwide popularity of Quidditch (QA8, Pm).
Quidditch is listed under "other recreational sports" on the US sports Wikipedia page (Wikipedia: Sports in the United States) and there are organised matches for this Muggle form of the game (US Quidditch).
From the Web
Screenshots of the Daily Prophet's coverage of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup: http://imgur.com/a/AXutv