- Along with Nigeria, they were joint favourites before the start of the tournament.
- Norway’s team mascots in previous tournaments had been a troop of performing trolls. However, in 2014, the mascots were Selma, a type of water snake that eats both fish and human flesh. During the opening ceremony the Selma disastrously clashed with the Fijian mascot, a Dukuwaqa. A bloodbath ensued.
- Known members of the Norwegian contingent:
- They won their first match against the Ivory Coast side on 13 April 2014, by the huge margin of 340 points to 10. There was a very hostile atmosphere towards Norway amongst spectators in the crowd, some of whom had been injured by the rampaging Selma the previous day.
- A huge upset took place on 6 June 2014, when the Bulgarian National Team sent Norway out of the tournament by winning the match by 170 points to Norway’s 20, thanks to an early Snitch capture by Viktor Krum. Fans blamed Norway’s bad luck on the Selma (Pm).
Although Norway is an historical Quidditch-playing nation, there is nothing on their Wikipedia page for Quidditch or any other wizarding sport (Wikipedia).
From the Web
Writing by J.K. Rowling on Pottermore:
- History of the Quidditch World Cup
- 2014 Quidditch World Cup reports
- 2014 Quidditch World Cup final
- The Daily Prophet
Pottermore enhanced reading experience: Quidditch World Cup
Screenshots of the original Daily Prophet coverage of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup on Pottermore: Imgur archive
Harry Potter Wiki: Norwegian National Quidditch Team