This musical group is very popular on the WWN (GF22).
Their instruments consist of a set of drums, several guitars, a lute, a cello, and some bagpipes. They were "all extremely hairy and dressed in black robes that had been artfully ripped and torn" when Harry saw them at at the Yule Ball (Dumbledore had booked them to play) (GF23).
The band members are (CS/g, fw):
- Barbary, Heathcote - rhythm guitar (fw95)
- Crumb, Gideon - bagpipes (fw)
- Duke, Kirley McCormack - lead guitar (fw93)
- Graves, Merton - cello (fw)
- Thruston, Orsino - drums (fw)
- Tremlett, Donaghan - bass (fw)
- Wagtail, Myron - lead singer (fw)
- Wintringham, Herman - lute (fw)
"The weird sisters" is a term from Shakespeare's Macbeth, referring to the three witches who accost Macbeth and foretell the future when they hail him as "king hereafter". These characters in Macbeth recite the incantation "Double, double, toil and trouble" which provided the lyrics for the song used in PA/f (see Hogwarts choir).
In Norse mythology, there are three sister-goddesses of fate - the Norns - who are also referred to as the Wyrd Sisters. The archaic term "wyrd" means "fate" or "destiny".