Department of Magical Law Enforcement
- Pilliwickle, Justus (c. 1950) (fw67)
- Barty Crouch Sr. c. 1970 (GF27)
- Amelia Bones until July 1996
- Pius Thicknesse (until promoted to Minister of Magic in August 1997) (DH11)
- See known Aurors, past and present.
- See known members of the Wizengamot, past and present.
- Barty Crouch senior was head of this department during the Voldemort years (GF27)
- Hopkirk, Mafalda, Improper Use of Magic Office (CS2)
- Perkins (CS3, etc) the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office
- Weasley, Arthur, head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office (CS3, etc) until July 1996
- Bob Ogden, head of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad c. 1920s (HBP10)
- Alastair Gumboil (room 919) handles applications for Hit Wizards (DP2)
- Wiggleworth, Dempster (DP3)
Improper Use of Magic Office
Magical Law Enforcement Squad
- employs Hit Wizards to handle dangerous criminals such as Sirius Black (PA11)
- should be called upon if you suspect that your friend, colleague, or family member is acting strangely, as they may be under the Imperius Curse (HBP3)
- handled a backfiring jinx in Elephant and Castle (HBP5)
- Headed by Bob Ogden in the early 20th century. Bob had the unpleasant task of confronting the Gaunt family about their anti-Muggle behavior (HBP10)
- Alastor Gumboil (whose office was located at room 919 at the Ministry) handled applications for employment as a Hit Wizard in the Squad (DP2). The advert in the Daily Prophet read:
BORED BY ROUTINE WAND-WORK? LOOKING FOR MORE THRILLS?
THE MAGICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT SQUAD WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
The job requirements:
- 17 years of age or older
- five or more OWLs including Defence Against the Dark Arts
- not of nervous disposition
The benefits include:
- starting salary of 700 Galleons per month
- Ministry of Magic broomstick
- regular bed at Saint Mungo's
- handled security at the Holyhead Harpies vs. Puddlemere United Quidditch match on Ilkey Moor after trouble at previous matches, even taking the extraordinary step of confiscating wands from fans, but trouble ensued anyway (DP3)
Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office
- keeps enchanted items out of the hands of Muggles
- participates in raids to keep Dark Magic items out of circulation
- creates new laws and regulations which can sometimes be a bit annoying for Wizarding folks (Pm)
Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects
Head: Arthur Weasley with a staff of ten
office created by incoming Minister of Magic Scrimgeour July 1996 in response to the influx of counterfeit objects begin sold to supposedly protect people
Wizengamot and Wizengamot Administration Services
The high Wizard court of law, held in a dungeon; the accused is magically bound to a chair in the center of the room. A jury sits on the right of the prosecutor who states the case against the accused and eventually asks for a verdict. The courtrooms are located on the tenth level of the Ministry of Magic; during the Voldemort years, prisoners are escorted and guarded by groups of Dementors (GF30). The members of the Wizengamot, of which there are about fifty, wear plum-covered robes with elaborate silver initials on them (the letter 'W').
- issued a warning about substandard wands being sold by a street peddler named "Honest Willy" Wagstaff (DP)
The department is uncertain, especially since this group is called the "Department" of Magical Equipment Control, a misnomer no doubt resulting from the fact that this was written in 1998 (DP), three years before FB (which for the first time listed the various departments of the Ministry of Magic). A similar error occurs in the books themselves, where an "Accidental Magic Reversal Department" is mentioned (PA3), although no such department exists.