"....we've had teams of Obliviators out trying to modify the memories of all the Muggles who saw what really happened...."
-- Cornelius Fudge to the Muggle Prime Minister (HBP1)
An obliviator is a wizard or witch who is member of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, with special training in the use of Memory Charms.
The Obliviators, who fall under the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes are part of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad team. They use Memory Charms to erase or change the memories of Muggles who have seen wizarding activity, got hold of a magic device/object or noticed the effects of magic usage.
- Arnie Peasegood is an Obliviator who was greeted at The Quidditch World Cup campsite by Arthur Weasley and was also interviewed by the Daily Prophet during the goblin riots in Chipping Clodbury (GF7, DP3)
- Also a "wizard in plus-fours" who performed "a Memory Charm ten times a day to keep him [Mr Roberts] happy" at the Quidditch World Cup (GF7)
- Teams of Obliviators were involved in modifying the memories of Muggles who had seen giants uprooting trees in the West Country (HBP1)
- Obliviators regularly have to perform Memory Charms on Muggles who have see the Loch Ness Monster (DP1, FB)
Obliviator Headquarters is located on Level Three of the Ministry of Magic (OP7)
MACUSA also has a team of Obliviators.
- In 1926 New York, an Obliviator named Sam was about to erase the memory of No-Maj Jacob Kowalski, but Queenie Goldstein stopped him by using Legillimens to read his mind about a girl named Ruby and threatening to tell his other girlfriend (or wife), Cecily (WFT). Sam thought Queenie didn't have the skills to Obliviate anyone, but she eventually did the Memory Modifying Charm on Jacob.