"….modification of any part of the referee’s body, whether or not he or she has requested such modification, will lead to a lifetime ban from the tournament and possibly imprisonment."
-- The History of the Quidditch World Cup (QWC)
The Referee is in charge of making sure that Quidditch games are played fairly and safely.
Referees at Hogwarts
However in one game during Harry Potter’s first year, Professor Snape substituted for her (and was prevented from being partisan by the presence of the Headteacher, Professor Dumbledore in the crowd) (PS13).
Matches between the Thundelarra Thunderers and the Woollongong Warriors in Australia are known to be extremely tricky and have led to local wizards referring to something unlikely to happen as “Yeah, and I think I’ll volunteer to ref the next Thunderer-Warrior game” (QA8).
Turning the referee’s broom into a Portkey was a popular match tactic until the Department of Magical Games and Sports issued strict security guidelines. Multiple referees have been found in the Sahara long after a match is over (PS11, QA6).
The referee Nugent Potts received a stray arrow through his nose during an Appleby Arrows match in 1894. Their fans were then banned from shooting arrows into the air every time their team scored (QA7).
Referee Josiah Plunkett had to deal with the Seekers jinxing each other at the end of an Appleby Arrows vs. Pride of Portree match – Dougal McBride claimed he was hit with a curse, so he retaliated by transfiguring Gregory Cotton’s head (DP3). Plunkett was also in charge when Chaser Wilda Griffiths disappeared during Holyhead Harpies vs. Puddlemere United “grudge” match, leading to a riot between their fans (DP4).
After the disaster at the 1809 Quidditch World Cup final between Romania and New Spain, it emerged that Romania’s Niko Nenad had previously been prevented from strangling two referees and other demented actions (QWC).
Hassan Mostafa (referee and Chairwizard of the International Association of Quidditch) became so entranced by the Bulgarian team’s veela mascots during the 1994 Quidditch World Cup final, he had to be forcibly brought back to his senses (GF8).
Incidents during the Quidditch World Cup 2014 tournament (QWC):
- The referee of the early round USA vs. Jamaica match had to act quickly to save the Jamaican team Keeper Bailey from crashing to the ground after she collapsed.
- Chaser Moon of New Zealand was sent off by referee Georgios Xenakis for a deliberate crash, which gave new impetus to the underdog Bulgarian team.
- The referee during the USA vs. Brazil semi-final had to caution US Keeper Blancheflower after she tried to jump onto an opponent’s broom.
- During the Brazil vs. Bulgaria final match, German referee Herman Junker had to check the game footage from Omnioculars mid-match to see whether a deliberate act of violence against Viktor Krum had taken place (QWC).
Other referee facts
Perimeter officials assist referees during matches to ensure the players stay within the confines of the pitch (QA8).
Referees for Quidditch World Cup games are chosen by the International Confederation of Wizards Quidditch Committee (ICWQC) (QWC).
It is definitely not a job for the shy or faint-hearted....
Although the dates printed on the Daily Prophet Newsletters are:
the timeframe for these events is 1992-1993.
Lexicon timeline of Quidditch
Lexicon list of Referees
From the Web
Writing by J K Rowling on WizardingWorld.com (Pottermore): The Daily Prophet
Writing by J K Rowling on Imgur (Daily Prophet coverage of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup, originally from Pottermore):
- History of the Quidditch World Cup
- Quidditch World Cup 1990-2014
- Match reports and articles from the 2014 Quidditch World Cup
Harry Potter Wiki: Quidditch referee
WizardingWorld.com (Pottermore) features: