"Euphoria, I take it? And what's that I smell? Mmmm . . . you've added just a sprig of peppermint, haven't you? Unorthodox, but what a stroke of inspiration, Harry ..."
-- Horace Slughorn (HBP22)
A plant sometimes added to potions or sweets.
- In Slughorn's class, Harry adds peppermint to his "Elixer to Induce Euphoria," an idea found scribbled in the margins of the Half-Blood Prince's Potion Book (HBP22).
- Hagrid carries peppermint humbugs in his pockets (PS5). These were also on the table during Harry's first Sorting Feast (PS10).
- Peppermint is one flavor of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans (PS6).
The Elixer to Induce Euphoria, addition of peppermint suggested in the Half-Blood Prince Potions Book.
- Slughorn says the addition of peppermint to Harry's potion reminds him of his mother Lily: "I really don't know where you get
these brain waves, my boy . . . unless — ... it's just your mother's genes coming out in you!" Ironically, the peppermint idea came from the Half-Blood Prince, who was the younger Severus Snape -- Lily's friend and possible potions-partner. This might imply that sometimes Lily got credit for Snape's brilliant ideas when they were in school, or perhaps they worked out the ideas together.
- Peppermint is a wide-ranging herb with a spicy taste, actually a hybrid of watermint and spearmint. Peppermint oil is used medicinally and as aromatherapy, to aid the stomach as well as enhance memory and alertness. And it's a tasty ingredient in Christmas candy, herbal tea and chewing gum. source: Wikipedia