"JORDAN! ARE YOU BEING PAID TO ADVERTISE FIREBOLTS? GET ON WITH THE COMMENTARY!
-- Minerva McGonagall (PA13)
The Firebolt, released in the summer of 1993, is the fastest racing broom in the world at that time. Developed by Randolph Spudmore, it is ground-breaking in that it has goblin-made ironwork parts – although working with goblins leads to frequent strikes, making this quite a rare broom.
- streamlined, superfine handle of ash, treated with a diamond-hard polish
- hand-numbered with its own registration number
- tail twigs of birch, individually selected and honed to aerodynamic perfection
- un-surpassable balance
- pinpoint precision
- acceleration of 150 mph in 10 seconds
- unbreakable Braking Charm
- when you pick it up then let go, it hovers at exactly the right height to mount
- turns with the lightest touch, seems to obey thought rather than grip
- superbly smooth action.
Harry saw a prototype in Quality Quidditch Supplies the summer it came out and was sorely tempted to empty his Gringotts vault to buy one (PA4). He resisted the temptation, however, and to his surprise received a Firebolt for Christmas from his godfather, Sirius Black (PA11).
Harry received a miniature model of a Firebolt from Tonks for Christmas in 1995 (OP23).
The Firebolt Supreme, possibly a new improved model of the classic Firebolt broom from the same manufacturer, was flown by the Bulgarian National Team at the 2014 Quidditch World Cup (Pm).
The placard in the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies has the Firebolt's broom handle described as being "ash" (PA4), but in the Pottermore description it is listed as "ebony" (Pm).
From the Web
Pottermore links (Pm):
Harry Potter Wikia: Firebolt