The High Inquisitor orders all Student Organizations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs disbanded, Harry and Ron learn that boys are not allowed in the girls’ dormitory, Hedwig is hurt coming back from London, and Sirius is almost caught by Umbridge in the Gryffindor common room fireplace.
Calendar and Dates
The entire chapter takes place over the course of one day, the Monday following the first Hogsmeade weekend (the first weekend in October). Since 2 September was a Monday, this date has to be 7 October.
Interesting facts and notes
Neville's face was scarlet; the pressure Harry was exerting on his throat rendered him quite incomprehensible, but odd words spluttered from his mouth.
'Not...funny...don't... Mungo's... show...him...
Exceptional character moments
Still to come.
"Does this mean they're going to shut down the Gobstones club?" [Second year, upon seeing the decree]
"First of all, Ron - I've sworn to pass on a message from your mother. She says on no account whatsoever are you to take part in an illegal secret Defense Against the Dark Arts group. She says you'll be expelled for sure and your future will be ruined. She says there will be plenty of time to learn how to defend yourself later and that you are too young to be worring about that right now. She also" - Sirius's eyes turned to the other two - "advises Harry and Hermione not to proceed with the group, though she accepts that she has no authority over either of them and simply begs them to remember that she has their best interests at heart."
Other Canon Notes
Characters (notes and unnamed):
- (Unnamed) Stone gargoyles outside staffroom door
- Black, Sirius (as Snuffles)
- Potter, Harry (as Perkins)
- (Unnamed) second years crowded around Educational Decree
- (Unnamed) fourth year girls who slide out of girls' dormitory
- Boot, Terry (as one of "those Ravenclaw blokes")
- Crouch, Jr., Bartemius (as "someone inside Hogwarts trying to kill Harry")
- Dumbledore, Aberforth (as the Hog's Head Barman)
- Goldstein, Anthony (as one of "those Ravenclaw blokes")
- Riddle, Tom Marvolo (as Voldemort, "someone outside Hogwarts who'd like to kill us all")
- (unnamed) spell Hermione uses on her knitting needles in order to knit socks and hats
- (unnamed) jinx Hermione places on the parchment signed by the D.A.
- (unnamed) nonverbal spell Snape uses to make writing appear on the blackboard
- (unnamed) protective spell placed on the stairs to the girls' dormitory, preventing boys from entering
Settings and locations mentioned:
In Gryffindor Tower:
- Stairs to the Girls' Dormitory
Tags: anger anxiety black club cold dark disbelief dormitory fights fire fireplaces fraud freckles furious groups happy hate homework knitting laughing letters luck old orange permission portrait pub purple rules short stone students team temper tired trees trust ugly vanish/vanishing